Monday 9 April 2012

Hello!

About a month and a half ago life snuck up behind me with a humongous butterfly net and clobbered me over the head.

I found out virtually at the same time that I have cancer of the vulva and that the knee that I had replaced in 2008 is infected and needs to be taken out.

The cancer is squamous cell (a type of skin cancer) normally considered highly treatable except because it is located near some fairly major body entrances and exits and growing quickly it needs to be removed soon so it does not go systemic. To that end they will be removing the lump as well as both lymph nodes in my groin.

I can assure you I did not acquire this cancer through excessive sun exposure.

However that surgery cannot take place until the knee infection is taken care of.

So. On April 23rd or 24th I will be having the first of a two step knee revision at UH in London where they take out the infected joint, put in a temporary joint packed with antibiotics and a Picc line of antibiotics that will stay in for 6 weeks.

Four weeks later on May 23rd I will have a vulvectomy at the Juravinski Cancer Centre in Hamilton to remove the growth as well as the groin lymph nodes.

Then 6 to 8 weeks down the road after that I will go back to London to have the temporary joint taken out and a new permanent knee put in.

Piece of cake!

I am blessed with a great family and a wonderful array of friends and hope to use this blog as a method to keep in touch.

The name of this blog is a painfully constructed acrostic for:

End Krotch Kancer And Revisions Ala Two-steps.

I know!

My theory is that while I need to take my health challenges seriously, that doesn't mean I need to lose my sense of humour or speak in hushed respectful tones about cancer. Not even crotch cancer, cause frankly so far I've not seen it do anything to deserve respect. It's all ooh, if I hide here nobody will talk about me. Ha! We'll see crotch cancer, we'll see. My friends and I are starting up a Sit for the cure of C.C. We've not nailed down any dates or the colour of our ribbon yet but we're leaning towards brown with a few red streaks. Klassy! Stay tuned if you dare!

2 comments:

  1. Ruthe you rock!
    I hope you never loose you sense of humor :)
    Everything has just got to turn out alright, I know it!
    Love you
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dare!
    haha... "we'll see crotch cancer, we'll see"!

    much love, Ruthe!
    Keep us posted (or keep us blogged)

    ReplyDelete