Wednesday 9 May 2012

Pre op number two

Here's the crew from yesterday's jaunt to London. My sister Anne and her daughter Heather. Thanks ladies!

This mornings drive to Hamilton was much less eventful than the first time Karen and I went when it was hailing and sunny at the same time.

Caleb was there to see us off!

Even though my surgery on the 23rd will be at the Juravinski Hospital on top the mountain, my pre op for the most part was at McMaster. It was unusual and kind of hard to see so many kids getting ready to have surgery. About 60% adults and the rest kids. We remembered being at that hospital with Caleb just after he was born and are very grateful the seizures were benign.

I saw a raft load of medical professionals and everything seems to be a go. They will maintain the picc line while I'm in their care which should be 2-4 days in hospital.

It was funny how competitive some of them were with London and how they said they would do things differently. I told them I would mostly only be comparing the food. I just looked it up and the hospital where I'll be is also a top rated joint replacement centre so that's probably where some of the competitiveness is coming from. London gets a lot of attention in that field.

The last appointment of the day was at the Juravinski hospital where the surgery will be. It's quite beautiful but I'm cynical enough to wonder if the actual patient rooms will be in the old Henderson part.

I just looked up the history of the two names cause I was curious as to what you'd have to do to get a hospital named after you. Turns out Nora Henderson was an amazing woman who was the first Canadian woman to be elected to a city board of control, in 1954 opened a 322 bed hospital for woman and children and championed women's rights to get health care.

Frank Juravinski was the owner of Flamboro Downs and donated 43 million dollars. That's why it's his name and huge sculpture of him and his wife and dog on the wall.

Me? I'm going to think of the joint as the place that Nora Henderson built. And I'll be proud if my room is in the older part!

When we got home I said to Karen. "Thank you doesn't begin to cut it for today but it'll have to do for now."

My knee is quite happy we've nowhere to go tomorrow but my physiotherapist is coming bright and early so I should get to bed. Gonna start bending the knee tomorrow!

Thanks for reading along with me as I go. Means the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment