Wednesday 15 August 2012

It's not easy following green

So Maureen picked me up at 7 O'early and we headed to GR hospital for my second attempt at a cat scan. We managed to find the hospital no problem but our competence kind of went down hill from there. I got the impression from watching the radiation DVD that they had a cat scan in the cancer centre. Nope, 2nd floor main hospital. Okay off we go. After we dropped a nice, how shall I say, barley smelling gent up on the 7th floor for dialysis we got off the elevator on 2. We managed to sign in at the correct window, probably the highlight of our prowess for the day.

The receptionist told us to follow the green line and turn right at MRI CT. This green line...

is apparently grey and leads to a staff only area. But we turned around and found the way anyhow.

On the way OUT a nice gentleman pointed this out to us:

on the WALL! Look up. Look WAY up!

We found the cat scan waiting room and it was about a trillion times nicer than the Mac one and the staff were very very nice. They did try to take blood from me twice but I beat off the second team by showing them my owie.

Then it was time to drink the two large glasses of water and give a little medical history.

Okay so you know how for a number of months now I've been blogging about having a vulvectomy and lymph nodes in my groin removed? And how I've been whining about how nurses had to come to my house for 41 days to pack an open wound? And how I used two and a half bales of abdominal pads to try to stop the top of my leg from leaking? Etc and etc and etc?!

Well what do you think I said when the nurse asked me if I'd had abdominal surgery?

That's right I looked her in the eye and said: "No."

In my defense, if there is any, I was totally thinking of how the last cat scan report said that I'd had a radical hysterectomy, and by George I was going to nip that rumor in the bud this time and deny ever having had any surgery of that type! Also I guess I'd call it a bit more south than abdomin, pelvis might have rung the bell a bit better!

Apparently it was just all so easy that it slipped my mind, have NO idea why those nurses kept coming to my house! It's just like a dream to me now. Ha! Not!

I did however freely admit to having had knee surgery. I could tell I had somehow puzzled the nurse and she rephrased her question a little and the lights came on and the bells rang and I said "Yes, yes I did have abdominal surgery on May 23rd!" And then I blathered on and on about how the knee surgery was April 23rd and the abdominal surgery was May 23rd and still she didn't try to have me committed! Angel that she was.

Again except for tucking my bra into my purse they let me wear civilian clothes. SUCH a civilized turn of events in health care. As long as there's no metal you're okay. I left my pink purse with Maureen (pink is her favorite) and headed for the machine.



Even the machine is friendlier here! It has a little PAC man guy to tell you when to hold your breath....

and how many seconds of holding your breath are left. So cute! And no I didn't whip out my iPod to take a picture (but only because it was with Maureen) you can find a picture of anything on the interweb!

So they told me to wait 10 minutes in the wating room and if I felt okay after that I could leave. That time passed by really quickly because I couldn't find my iPod having carefully left it in a wide open side pocket of my pink purse. Maureen checked the washroom and change areas and eventually a nice lady suggested I look down. There it was by my feet, my loyal little friend.

We left after 10 minutes anyway because we figured I was as okay as I was going to get at that point.

You'll be pleased and surprised to know that we managed to leave the hospital with very little trouble at all!

My friend Gail saw me waiting at the curb for Maureen to pull the car up so she dashed out to say hi, so fun. She suggested that in future perhaps the nurses could phrase hard questions like have you had abdominal surgery by pointing both hands down and asking if I have any boo boos there. Hopefully she'll update my file to that effect!

Off to Timmies....

and then Zehrs where I crashed my cart into everything that didn't get out of the way!

Upon getting home I found out that my raspberry kefir had peed the bag and when I went to set it down I knocked over a corelle plate that shattered like my last nerve.

Harrison helped by yelling at the top of his lungs to go outside the whole time I was trying to get my bare feet out of there and get a broom to clean it up. Apparently he REALLY needed to go out and eat his plant!

After he threw up he was much calmer.

He made up for the yelling by getting caught in a plant so that when I opened the door the leash retracted quickly and pulled in some flowers that flew squarely into my hand. Good boy!

And that's been me so far today. How are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment