Monday 1 October 2012

Day Nine

Listen I'm totally grateful for volunteer drivers from the cancer society. Can you feel a but and some complaining coming on?

Part of it is me. Meeting a stranger every day in a car is nerve wracking to me. I instantly invest a lot of emotional energy assessing them. It's just who I am and what I do without even wanting to.

Most of them are good people who want to do something valuable with their retirement.

Today's guy was borderline personality on steroids. He opened with how he knocks on doctor's treatment rooms to confront doctors and nurses when they run late and how he knows where their private exit is and how he tunes the nurses in. Then we moved on to his favorite confrontations in his past work life. Stopping often to wait for me to laugh and admire his stories. And I'm thinking stop talking stop talking stop talking. And no I don't think I could say that out loud. He is very bright and tuned in to nuance he would smell "I just want to relax quietly" for exactly what it was - shut up. He also complained about clients and I have no control over how many rides I will have with him.

The good news is that I had a different driver for the way home. The bad news is that the second driver was running an hour late and the first guy was waiting so he stood in front of me and talked at me most of the time. If you want to know everything that's wrong with Via Rail I'm your girl.

So yeah, there'll be a letter from me when my treatments are done because I don't like bullies but it'll have to wait. I do not have it in me right now and I guess that's what makes it so insidious because probably none of us that he drives are feeling real confrontational. But hey maybe next time I'll feel a little sportier.

Anyhow that's more fun to talk about than my poor bum. I see the doctor on Wed so we'll see what she says.

Tomorrow's driver sounded nice on voice mail and here's Harry saying a prayer that that's the case!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I know! Next time you're going to have that driver you should wear your full pirate get-up!

    ReplyDelete