Thursday 26 September 2013

Epic walking goal reached!

So yeah last week my friend and neighbor Susan suggested that my normal walks might not be that much shorter than walking to Weber Street which has been my seemingly insurmountable goal for this summer. I thought well, I may as well walk in that direction, that would be a start. A quite logical start now that I think about it. I'm sure that's some sort of life lesson that someone could make a meme about.

Did someone say make a meme?

Kind of proud of that picture on it's own so let's see it again.

No touchups today.

These next flowers are all in the same person's glorious (to me anyway) front lawn. They haven't called the police on me yet for taking pictures. However I do put the camera away when the kids start walking home from school.

I walked further than I ever had before in this direction and then I saw this:

You don't have to hit me over the head (too many times) with a baseball bat to get me to see a sign that I went the right direction. That is the wonderful little side entrance to the cemetery where my dear friend Gerry is buried. She was my friend, neighbor and second mother.

I have only visited her grave once before and that time Alice and I drove.

I don't know if you remember this but there was very little breeze that day. Only one of the cards ever moved that we set down. It was the dreaded Skip card that Gerry delighted in using on Alice on a regular basis simply to torment her. That day at the gravesite the Skip card flew directly over to Alice and we had a good laugh.

Today I was not sure if I would be able to find the grave. But I should have known that her loving family would have some flowers there to light the way.

The little gate is only a little bit away from her grave and it was a beautiful quiet place to rest.

I had a tear or two and got to thinking that if heaven is a place I want to be in, Gerry and my friend Peggie are there laughing with mom and getting to know the person she really is.

I thought that maybe that was far enough to walk for today. But it was only about another block to Weber Street. And here's the thing, I wasn't in any pain.

Oh it hurt to walk, like usual, but not a lot. The mind is a wonderful thing and Tuesday's appointment with the surgeon where he confirmed that my leg is not infected helped a lot.

So yes, this happened:

I reached a goal that just last week or even on Tuesday I had deferred till next summer!

Last week I had pictured limping in to the nearest store, asking to use their phone and calling a taxi. Yeah, that didn't happen.

I rested a lot in the shade. Especially near trees like this.

And I still had enough energy to go for a little catwalk.

I obviously live near an airport and it's not an exaggeration to say there was a plane overhead every five minutes.

And a squirrel or a chipmunk that often too!

Chippie hunt...

resulted in some garnish for the leash.

Bye Chippie

Looks like a boutonniere.

My knees and shin aren't even really that sore, it's actually more my arms that are sore and thrumming from leaning on the rollater that long. Our street sidewalk has a severe case of acne.

The funny thing is that even though my regular walk is shorter it's a little bit more challenging because there are hills behind the nursing home or maybe I should call them slopes. Nevertheless they make for a little bit of a better aerobic workout. Probably my next goal will be to go around both big buildings twice.

Just to top off the day we had a little visit with Cooper. But that will have to wait for another day!

&

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Your perseverance is paying off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's great, Ruthe! congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful ! Great day! Great attitude!
    Luke

    ReplyDelete