Tuesday 24 September 2013

Knee update

Listen I am tired with a capital Zzz. But today was great. Saw the knee surgeon in London for my 6 month checkup. Long appointment because I had to go 2 hours early for a blood test to check for infection markers in my blood then he was running at least an hour behind. They have this new thing in the waiting room where they play information about knee and hip replacements on a sound loop. It's really awesome to listen to over and over and over again.

However all that matters is that my infection markers were one point something which is nearly perfect.

I asked about the shin pain and he said he has no idea, but because of the blood test he can guarantee 100% it's not bone infection and I'll take that all day long. All. Day. Long.

He showed me where the bone runs and that's a little to the side of this so Woo hoo! He said that's not to say the infection won't ever come back but after not being on steady antibiotics for well over three months (more like 4 and a half really) the infection is considered cured. Gonna run with that. Pun intended.

He asked how my other knee feels, brave man that he is. The X-rays of it show a lot of arthritis too but I just kind of winced and said that it does not feel anywhere near ready to go to the scalpel dance. And that's absolutely true. If I can just have two kind of ok knees instead of one kind of okay one and one that only straightens to a 45 degree angle and leaks from the bone I'm way ahead of where I used to be.

Knee replacements in my experience are worth it. Despite having three of them on the same knee I'd do it again. My old knee was toast from a basketball injury when I was 18. It was crippled. But I won't do it again on a kind of ok knee. Kind of ok is a lot to work with!

Thanks to sweet sister Anne who took me to London and made the whole day special.

We went to the most awesome aquafit class in New Hamburg tonight! Really fun, great class (found some new muscles) and what a beautiful facility. Slipperiest floors in a change room ever! Almost fell WHILE using my rollator. Crocs next time!

Pictures from yesterday will have to wait. I found out part way through my photo shoot with Ava and Olivia that I had left the forced flash on. What this means to you is that you'll still see the pictures but they'll be "artsy." eg:

Instead of washed like an old sock.

So there's that to look forward to.

Congratulations to Ava and Olivia they have a brand new baby girl cousin to love! Sadly little Lorelai lives far away but still a very happy occasion! Congratulations Ashley and Andy!

&

No comments:

Post a Comment