Tuesday 9 September 2014

Sunny rant - cause I loves ya

You know what I heard a lot this summer?

"I don't think I need to put sun screen on, I already had my burn and now I'm tanning."

D'ya know what's not fun? Skin cancer.

Most people think it's just a matter of keeping an eye on moles and getting them cut off if they become gnarly looking. Problem solved.

Yeah it's a lot more than that. A whole lot more. And you don't want to hear the details of the more. May you never need to is my fervent wish.

Listen, I support your getting some vitamin D. And please go outside and have a ton of fun. I'll be right behind you. But despite the findings of some recent bogus studies, sun screen is your friend.

Tanning is not your friend.

From skin cancer.org:

"UVA is the dominant tanning ray, and we now know that tanning, whether outdoors or in a salon, causes cumulative damage over time. A tan results from injury to the skin's DNA; the skin darkens in an imperfect attempt to prevent further DNA damage. These imperfections, or mutations, can lead to skin cancer."

And wrinkles if that bothers you more.

I hope you beat the odds and are immortal. May your particular set of skin cells defeat the puny sun. Go you! But can I ask you to just consider giving your skin some back up next summer? All summer?

Cause I really like you.

It'll just take a minute.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment